The Best Lobster Grilled Cheese
MAINE LOBSTER NOW LOBSTER GRILLED CHEESE RECIPE Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes SERVES: 4 (Makes 4 sandwiches) Is there nothing quite as perfect as a grilled cheese sandwich? The image alone of gooey, melty cheese sandwiched between two slices of perfectly toasted buttered bread is enough to make one’s stomach call out in pangs of hunger. So here’s the challenge…How do you take an as-is perfect toasty sandwich and make it maybe, just one hundred and fifty times better? Simple: just add cooked fresh lobster meat. The contrast between our fresh, rich, buttery, fluffy, sweet lobster meat and melty, slightly tangy sharp cheddar (not to mention crunchy, salty buttery bread) is a beautiful thing. Think of it as a Down East twist on the classic that allows you to get more mileage out of your lobster meat—this recipe yields four generous sandwiches, and if you add a cold, crisp pickle spear, some potato chips, and maybe even a whoopie pie for dessert, you have a meal that will satisfy and delight a group of hungry foodies. To save time, order your lobster precooked and de-shelled, bibs optional! Ingredients: 1 lb. pre-cooked fresh lobster meat, tails, claws, and knuckle meat 4 tablespoons (1/2 a stick) salted butter, softened 8 slices country-style white bread 8 large slices sharp white cheddar cheese ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, tarragon, and chives, if desired. Instructions:
- Chop the lobster meat into ½-inch pieces and set aside.
- On a large cutting board, butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Flip bread over, then layer half of the un-buttered sides with a slice of cheese, lobster, fresh herbs if desired, and another slice of cheese. Top with the remaining slices of bread buttered-side up.
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet or large griddle over medium heat. Add the sandwiches in batches, if necessary, and cook until golden brown on one side, flip over and continue to cook until golden brown on the other side about 6 to 10 minutes total. Slice each in half and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- For an even more decedent lobster grilled-sandwich experience, try adding chopped bacon and tomato to this sandwich.
- Try changing up the cheese. Instead of sharp white cheddar, try Havarti or Jack cheese.
- Mix up the bread: make this sandwich the same as in the above recipe, but substitute a brioche roll, croissant, or even sourdough bread.